This past weekend I surprised my husband with a birthday trip to california and it was the perfect getaway. I wanted to take us somewhere close but also a place were it felt like a break from everything we know here in houston and to just enjoy ourselves.
I had us landing in la but with a apartment in santa monica from airbnb; it was the perfect spot close to everything we needed, especially the beach. Right below us we had a Starbucks (any morning person necessity) pizza and sandwich shops, a bank and a grocery store in case we needed to get anything right away.
From the moment we landed we just enjoyed ourselves and took in all that la, santa monica, venice beach and malibu had to offer. We kept ourselves busy and our tummies full because each little city had some of the best food and drinks we had every tasted..and we are big foodies. The only bad side is that you spend a lot of money because a lot of the portions are smaller than back home so we would get tons of items off the menu (everything is definitely bigger in texas). 🙂
Runyon Canyon Park
From my point of view the best times were at the beach; hands down. We were lucky enough to come on a nice 75-80 degree weather weekend for january and it was the perfect break from the texas cold and rainy weather we have been having since the holidays.
Beverly Hills/ Rodeo Dr
Santa Monica Beach
Manhattan Beach at Sunset
Another great bonus was being able to see family and friends that live in the area; they were able to give us a more true california feel compared to some of the touristy things we had on the agenda.
So my biggest callouts from cali…
- Working out- I could have literally worn yoga pants the whole time and it would have been ok.
- Starbucks- On every corner where it reminded me of NYC so much.
- Cars- Energy saving cars like Tesla’s and Prius were huge and you couldn’t go 2 secs without seeing one!!
- People- The biggest arrangement of people i have seen but it was awesome! It definitely shows that in cali you can be anyone you want to be with no judgement. I loved that!
- Traffic- I will never complain about houston traffic..or at least try not too. 🙂
- Weather- Perfection..I could live there in a second because I don’t mind it being summer all year round!
- Food- Too many to choose from but great every time!
All in all I highly recommend it to anyone and I will definitely plan on going back very soon!!