When I started Style The Girl last January I remember being extremely intimidated to join such a large community. I remember thinking, “How am I going to get a following, why would people care what I am wearing and doing, will people even like what I have to say, how do I meet fellow fashion bloggers and create relationships?”
Even with all these questions of uncertainty in my head I finally had a epiphany that if I didn’t do it now I would regret never trying…and I wasn’t going to let them happen. With that being said, the last year has taught me a thing or two about creating blogger relationships and I have some tips and tricks listed below which I hope comes in handy for any other blogger who was or is in my previous position. 🙂
1. Conferences: I know some people might not think this, but yes, there are conferences for bloggers. Blogging is so much more than just putting on a cute outfit, taking pictures, creating content that users will want to read..it is honestly hard work. By going to a conference with influential people that have been doing this for years/months, and are successful is a great learning opportunity. Make sure to introduce yourself, provide your business card and reach out after the event.
See what conferences you might have in your area or within driving distance in order to enhance your knowledge on all avenues of blogging. I went to my first one two weeks ago at the Thrive Blog Conference and learned so much. You can see my top 5 learnings here.
2. Get Out There: In the blogging community it is all about showing up and being there if you really want to make an impact. Personally, I think that if you are not comfortable with speaking to new people, feeling comfortable with who you are and what your blog is about, then it will be more difficult to create relationships and opportunities that can build your “brand” and blog to a whole other level. One of my favorite new quotes I heard recently is from Marla Malcolm Beck, ” I meet so many great female leaders and I think what all of them have in common is they’re not afraid to go for exactly what they want.” So be confident, get out there, and show them who you are and what you are all about!
3. Show Your Support: Become your fellow bloggers biggest supporters. Why? Because we are all in the same position and doing what we love. As women we need to be supportive and bring each other up and not down. Follow them, like their pages, reach out, comment on their posts, go to their events; this will not only build a starting foundation, but shows you are serious about being apart of the blogging community. Create community versus competition.
“When woman support each other, incredible things happen!”
4. Cultivate Relationships: Find other bloggers in your city that do exactly what you do and love; whether that be lifestyle, fashion, food, and etc. Be authentic!! This one hits home because with our lives surrounded in social media it is important to always stay true to yourself and not loss yourself in the craziness of it.
On a important thing to remember is that when you do this, make sure that this is all about networking and not stalking, so ensure you respect people’s boundaries.
5. Thrive Tribe: You will notice that once you follow these easy steps you will create relationships with so many amazing bloggers. I have been so lucky over the past year with Style The Girl that all the ladies I have met inspire me deeply and I would like to share some fun pictures with these ladies below…make sure to also check out each of their pages. 🙂
Roselyn – The Style_Lynn Kind // Brittany – Hello Honey // Hope – Tassels and Tabbies //Erin – Style Spies // Sara – Haute and Humid // Dede – Dress Up Buttercup // Shelbi – It’s All Chic to Me // Dawn – Dawn P. Darnell
Thank you Kendra Scott for sponsoring this post.